Complaints > Myanmar > Takko Holding GmbH, Complaint 419

Myanmar - Takko Holding GmbH, Complaint 419

Status
Closed
Country
Myanmar
Date
06/06/2018
Complaint ID
419
Member involved
Takko Holding
Filing party
Worker
Filed against
Factory management
Grounded
Yes

The case

The complainant, a pregnant worker who recently went on maternity leave, called to confirm whether the maternity leave entitlement should be paid by the factory or the SSB because the HR told her that the factory does not need to pay anything.

The complainant is not convinced that the factory would take its responsibility. Moreover, she has not seen any pregnant workers who got the benefits from the factory although there are a lot of pregnant workers. She stated that in this factory, it is customary that pregnant workers chose to resign before giving birth instead of taking maternity leave as the maternity leave entitlements are not explained. She furthermore divulged that the factory always asks the pregnant workers not to come to work whenever there is audit.

Findings and conclusions

On 6 June 2018, FWF received a call to the complaints helpline in Myanmar. The complainant is a pregnant worker who recently went on maternity leave. She first called FWF to understand what she is entitled to receive from the social security service (SSB) and factory, because the HR told her that the factory does not need to pay anything.

FWF explained that the medical expenses will be borne by the social security service (SSB). Additionally, 70% of the average one year salary shall be paid by SSB and the remaining 30% is to be paid by the factory after confinement.

FWF raised the complaint with the brand Takko, who approached the factory management for a response. On 30 July the factory manager informed Takko that they will pay the maternity benefits. Furthermore, the factory posted the policy on the notice board to inform all workers that the factory is responsible to cover 30% of the maternity leave entitlement whereas SSB would be responsible for 70%. A picture of the notice was also shared.

FWF informed the complainant of the factory's decision and encouraged her to claim her due maternity benefit entitlement. When FWF called her back a few days later, we learned that she ran away from home due to a conflict with her husband. As she did not have her own phone anymore, it proved impossible to reach her. After several unsuccessful attempts to reach the complainant, FWF decided to close the complaint.
See details

Overview of the complaint investigation

06/08/2018 Investigation

FWF complaint handler called the SSB official from Naypyidaw to clarify the rights for maternity leave entitlements for pregnant workers. FWF learned that the medical expenses are to be borne by the social security service (SSB). Additionally, 70% of the average one year salary shall be paid by SSB and the remaining 30% is responsible by the factory after the confinement. FWF subsequently explained the rules to the complainant.

06/20/2018 Investigation

FWF raised the complaint with the brand Takko, who approached the factory management for a response.

07/30/2018 Remediation

The factory manager informed Takko that they will pay the pending maternity benefits to the worker. Furthermore, the factory has posted the policy on the notice board to inform all workers that the factory would bear 30% of the maternity leave entitlement whereas SSB would be responsible for 70%. A picture of the notice was also shared.

08/09/2018 Remediation

FWF informed the complainant that she could contact the factory management and request payment of her due maternity benefits.

08/15/2018 Closed

FWF tried to contact the complainant to learn whether she received her entitled payment, but learned that she ran away from home due to a conflict with her husband. As she did not have her own phone anymore, she no longer was reachable. FWF tried several times to contact the complainant, but could not reach her. FWF therefore decided to close the complaint.

Share this on

FacebookTwitterLinkedInWhatsAppEmailCopy link