‘Start paying higher wages. Now. Analyse what worked and what didn’t. And then keep going.’
This sentence summarises FWF’s advice to brands that seek to make real strides towards living wages in their supply chains. And it offers more concrete advice on how to do this in Living Wages: An Explorer’s Notebook.
Use the tools below to further support efforts to raise wages in your supply chain.
HOW MUCH SHOULD WORKERS BE PAID?
- FWF’s Wage Ladder consolidates a range of living wage benchmarks for garment producing countries/regions –> access the tool here.
HOW MUCH DOES LIVING WAGE IMPLEMENTATION COST?
- FWF’s Labour Minute Costing report offers insights into this practical approach to calculating how much more a product will cost if living wages are paid.
- The FWF Labour Minute Calculator enables suppliers and buyers to determine the cost of one minute of labour in a factory.
- FWF’s costing sheets – currently in beta for trial by FWF members–enable brands, factories, and worker representatives to:
- estimate the total cost of wage increases in a factory
- calculate how wage increases affect FOB (and retail) prices
- discuss how to cover the difference in cost
Please contact your case manager for access to the costing sheet.
- FWF publications Climbing the Ladder to Living Wages and Living Wage Engineering offer insights into the costs of living wages.
HOW CAN WE ENSURE THAT OUR LIVING WAGE EFFORTS ARE SUSTAINABLE AND MEET WORKERS NEEDS?
- FWF’s Worker Education Programme – FWF continues to develop training and coaching resources for effective communication skills and grievance systems in workplaces.
HOW CAN WE AVOID LEGAL RISKS WHEN COLLABORATING WITH OTHER GARMENT BRANDS TO RAISE WAGES?
- Arnold & Porter’s competition law opinion to FWF – The law firm of Arnold & Porter give their opinion on the impact of EU competition law on the implementation of FWF’s living wage standard.
- FWF’s ‘Competition Dos and Don’ts document – simple tips for companies collaborating to raise wages in shared facilities.
ALIGNING PURCHASING PRACTICES THAT WITH LIVING WAGE EFFORTS:
- Access FWF’s Brand Performance Check Guide.