The FWF approach to living wages is pretty simple:
At FWF we are doing all three of these in tandem. Of course, of these three tranches of work, the third is the most important for workers. And to take effective action on wages, FWF members and stakeholders need tools. To this end, tool development continues.
Below are some of the tools already developed:
- FWF’s Wage Ladder consolidates a range of living wage estimates for garment producing countries/regions –> access the tool here
- How to use the FWF wage ladder 2.0: guidance for using the tool for wage improvements
How much does living wage implementation cost?
- FWF’s costing sheets, currently in beta for trial by FWF members, enable brands, factories, and worker representatives to:
- estimate the total cost of wage increases in a factory
- calculate how wage increases affect FOB (and retail) prices
- discuss how to cover the difference in cost
- FWF publications Climbing the Ladder to Living Wages and Living Wage Engineering offer insights into the costs of living wages.
How can we ensure that our living wage efforts are sustainable and meet workers needs?
- FWF’s Worker Education Programme
How can we avoid legal risks when collaborating with other garment brands to raise wages?
- Guidance for FWF on competition law and living wages (coming soon!)
Aligning purchasing practices that with living wage efforts:
- Access FWF’s Brand Performance Check guide
- Real life experiences with living wages
- Other insights on wages from FWF and its partners
- Steps to upholding FWF member commitment to living wages (coming soon)