Takko Holding GmbH, Complaint 542

CONCERNING LABOUR STANDARDS
Payment of a living wage
STATUS
Resolved
DATE
2018-11-14

The complainant is a worker who is nearing the end of her maternity leave. She has been working at the factory for more than 2 years. Although her maternity leave has nearly finished, she is not yet ready to get back to work. She has been compensated by Social Security Board for 70% of the average income of a year as per the law. When she claimed for the remaining 30% of the entitlement from the factory, the HR told her off that the factory was not responsible for the payment. She is worried that she might not get the 30% as she witnessed that the pregnant workers were never compensated by the factory. She looks forward to receiving the maternity leave compensation as soon as possible.

Findings and conclusions

On 14 November, FWF's complaints handler in Myanmar received a complaint from a factory worker, who is nearing the end of her maternity leave but she is not yet ready to get back to work. She has been compensated by Social Security Board for 70% of the average income of a year as per the law. When she claimed for the remaining 30% of the entitlement from the factory (again, as per relevant legislation), the HR officer told her off that the factory was not responsible for the payment. FWF declared this complaint admissible and contacted the FWF member brand Takko, who approached the factory management for a response. The factory stated that they posted the maternity policy on the notice board (pictorial evidence was also provided) and promised that they will pay the 30% of maternity wage. On 12 December, FWF received confirmation from the complainant that she has been paid 30% of her maternity leave benefits by the factory, as per the relevant legislation. The complainant was very satisfied with the outcome and expressed her gratitude to all involved. The complaint has been resolved.

Overview of the complaint investigation

2018-12-04 Investigation

FWF contacted the FWF member brand Takko on 3 December 2018, who approached the factory management for a response the following day.

2018-12-06 Remediation

Factory management informed Takko that they posted the maternity policy on the notice board (a picture was also shared that proves the policy is posted). Factory management also promised that they will pay the 30% of maternity wage the worker is entitled to.

2018-12-12 Resolved

The complainant confirmed that she has been paid 30% of her maternity leave benefits by the factory, as per the relevant legislation. The complainant was very satisfied with the outcome and expressed her gratitude to all involved. The maternity policy is also posted on the notice board at the factory.